Here a short list of simple Social Media Tips to help you get the most out of your Social Media planning. Whether you are trying to get more “friends” on Facebook or more followers on Twitter… or have a small, medium or large business that you are trying to promote, I think these tips will come in handy.
- Engage through all relevant channels. There are an abundant supply of excellent social media channels: Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Youtube, Tumblr, Pinterest, Instagram, LinkedIn, to name a few. But investigate before you commit too much time to any one service. Just because you read about Pinterest or Instagram doesn’t mean it’s a good fit for your business. Decide where to spend your social time based on the desired results and likelihood of payoff.
- Be systematic, be organized. Use a spreadsheet or document to store all your usernames and passwords so they are easy to find. Figure out a way to post to a variety of platforms efficiently. There are a variety of social media aggregator apps, some of which you can use right through a website while other are downloadable, let you post to Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and other social sites from one place, as well as read your incoming direct messages, replies, and so on.
- Fresh text, tweets, blog posts, pictures and video – keep a stream of fresh content flowing to your followers. Offer great stuff. Again, it helps to be organized… when you come across things that you want to share, collect everything and put it into a place where you can turn that into a social media post when you’re ready.
- Don’t always make it about you. Post your own content and updates, sure, but be more expansive about what topics you share. Go outside the box. If It’s always about you or your product or your business, people will get bored and fast.
- Interact with your followers. Don’t hide behind anything. Be transparent, be engaging.
- Add Value – try to provide tips to make peoples lives better. Share what you know or what you’ve see. Pass information along that you think is valuable.
- Make sharing simple – ask your followers to share what you have with their followers but make it easy for them to do so. Don’t make social media sharing a barrier to your followers. Remove all barriers.
- Be active, be alive. Don’t disappear for weeks or months and expect to build an audience. Plan on regular updates. Followers will get used to hearing from you… if you disappear for too long they will forget about you and move on.